(26 Sep 2021) United Airlines is helping customers to use their travel credits by automatically displaying them as a payment option during the check-out process.
Not only can customers use the credits to buy tickets, they can now also be used to purchase extra legroom seats and to pre-pay for checked baggage.
The new functionality will be available for MileagePlus members first, with the airline working to roll it out to all customers in the near future.
For customers who have travel credits issued on or before 31 August 2021, United is also allowing an one-time opportunity to share those credits with friends and family.
“Unlike most airlines where travel credits are difficult to use, at United we’re doing something different,” said Toby Enqvist, chief customer office for United. “We’re showing our customers they have credits – and we’re making them easier than ever to use. It’s not just the right thing to do for our customers, but it’s also the right way to re-introduce more customers to the United travel experience, which we’re convinced will make them more likely to fly with us in the future.”
Using the United app or the airline’s website, customers with an electronic travel certificate (ETC) or a future flight credit (FFC), can:
– Automatically see and apply available travel credits on the check-out page when rebooking travel;
– Combine multiple travel credits to apply when booking new travel plans (customers can now combine multiple Future Flight Credits (FFCs) or Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs), and will soon be able to combine ETCs and FTCs together);
– Book travel on partner airlines;
– Purchase extra legroom seats and pre-pay for checked baggage at time of check-out;
– Share travel credits with a friend or family member from wholly unused travel credits issued on or before August 31, 2021 by applying travel credits as payment on check-out screen.